Busy, Busy
Friday morning, I worked like crazy to plant the 6 Brussels sprouts and 7 romaine plants I’d bought at Lowe’s. I weeded beneath my sad Romano tomatoes for the latter, crossing my fingers that all will be well. I restrung the anti-bunny fencing just in case there are plants to eat.
That afternoon, watercolor class of a pipeline swallowtail, and a chance to catch up with Kathy Santz., who had been to Egypt in May. I think my wings turned out well. The body, meh. Next time.
Then Stephanie took us to see her project at Red Coconut Bar. A 1950’s house in a corn maze downstairs, with alien spaceship upstairs. 3 bars, which evidently are pulling in a lot of money. Always good when asking for the next decoration budget. The food was fried fair food, so we moved on to Bubba Gumps for dinner, actually the first time we’d eaten at that franchise. My stuffed shrimp was excellent; I resisted the urge to ask if they were wild caught.Saturday morning, I got up early to make a pumpkin espresso cake but was slowed down because we were out of eggs. On the upside, when I drove to the grocery store, I stopped by my framer to find out why she wasn’t answering her phone. The note on the door said she’d broken her leg in a fall the previous Friday and was in rehab. Now I’m obsessing about getting my father’s Navy medals. This too shall pass.
Cake made and packed, we went to Costco to pick up my new glasses plus artichoke-spinach dip with Tostito scoops for lunch on the drive to Patten’s. I brought him the Seminole pumpkin I’d harvested,He was hosting a UM football watch party. Grilled sirloin, elote corn, roasted Brussels sprouts, baked French fries, several sauces, plus my cake. And shrimp, deviled eggs, and other snacks his friends brought. We got to meet his new girlfriend Valerie, (we tried not to grill her too much, probably unsuccessfully) and see Raul, Johnny, Chris and his girlfriend Meagan, and Ryan and his girlfriend Rosa (I list them to keep their names in the front of my brain). His backyard neighbors Greg and Susan stopped by. She and I talked about Shady Banks people we knew. I vaguely wish we were still in Fort Lauderdale.
Sunday morning, up at 8:00, the latest I’ve slept in years. Patten made breakfast of hash browns, fried eggs and pastrami that his friend Elijah brought by.
After lazing around, we went to the beach. Patten and I battled the waves while Grant sat in the shade. The water was beautiful and clear so we could see schools of mullet right near shore. No sharks sighted, however Patten was keeping a watch. My new bathing suit was great. And I love my polarized sunglasses.
Eventually, we had to go home. Patten packed us lots of leftovers: dinner again tonight. An easy drive with rain always threatening, but not falling.
Comments
Post a Comment