Post Egypt
We are home after 25 hours of flight and layover, starting by leaving our Cairo hotel at 12:30 AM. First to Vienna, where wheelchair support whisked us through the airport and customs. Then to Frankfort, and a Viking representative waiting for us. Somehow we lost her when Grant went to the bathroom. Suddenly our long layover with what I’d hoped would be a nice meal turned to chaos. I was overwhelmed, exhausted, and hungry. I started to break down
Thank goodness I had added the Viking Travel Support phone number to my contacts, so I messaged for help. Coincidentally, I spotted another Viking rep, and with her phone calls to supervisors, another wheelchair and staff came to our rescue. He even took us to the back area and found clean pants for Grant. Another quick trip through customs and on to the gate waiting area. While Grant sat, I scrounged for food. Several long gates away, I found a sandwich bar with beer, wine and tables. If only I’d had the energy to push the wheelchair, it could have been fun. I opted for 2 sandwiches and sodas to go.
When speaking to a gate agent, I overheard the magic words, “upgrade”, so for $900/person, we moved to business class. And because a kind gentleman changed places, we were able to sit next to each other, and I could help Grant navigate the intricacies of our reclining seats. Two meals and too many hours later, we arrived in Orlando. My ears and sinuses had clogged; I could barely hear. Grant walked to a wheelchair, and we headed to baggage claim.
Once again, we moved to a separate Customs line and were done. Our wheelchair driver delivered us to the curb. Stephanie and Clara picked us up minutes later.
Grant could have walked through all these airports, but he lumbers so slowly, a couple of our connections would have been too tight. It’s wheelchairs from now on. And I’m speaking to Denny about a program to get his feet moving more quickly.
Reflections: Egypt is beautiful, overwhelmingly, and amazing. My concept of its history is one big jumble. What seems obvious now, that temples and burial places were in different locations, that they happened over millennia, that modern towns would be immediately adjacent to ruins, never dawned on me. I am pulled to learn more.
The trip was exhausting with the brutal heat and fast pace. Once again, I would have preferred more time in each place. Too much information; too little time. I am so glad we went.
Comments
Post a Comment