Officially Old?
First up was to make an appointment with his cardiologist who, it turns out is on medical leave, return unknown. Yes, her APRN was an acceptable sub. 7:00 AM appointment next Wednesday, on the other side of Orlando. The bone density test easily scheduled and fairly nearby. Blood work at Quest, check. Then the cardio person added an X-ray which might be done at the same time as the bone scan.
On the other hand, we have been healthy enough to keep busy. Two weeks ago, a family and friend filled trip Friday to Fort Lauderdale. First up was lunch with the Zums, and bonus of Kristine, to convince them to reconsider not coming our annual cabin camping trip next February. I was unsuccessful, but not daunted. The siege will continue. I’d hoped to also visit B, but she was with her boyfriend in North Carolina, a good sign that she is feeling well. A stop to see Diane and David, who promised they would be up our way soon.
A trip to the beach at Las Olas, where I loved floating in the warm water. Grant struggled with his breath while bouncing in the waves. I sketched at a picnic table under the remaining casurinas while a short wedding took place. Way too sandy for heels.
Then homemade pho at Patten’s, with Marjorie joining us. Plus lots of mangos, some whole, a bag of peeled and chopped, and a package of frozen, all for me to take home. His tree is about 20’ now and prolific.
Saturday morning, we had breakfast at an uptown “diner” that I’m positive was the old Greyhound Bus station. Fort Lauderdale has changed so much, but I’m sure I’m right about that. A miserable drive home in rain which cycled from heavy to light to none to heavy to none to light all the way home.
Who knew we would be making the same drive the next Saturday for the memorial service for my Toastmaster friend Ana who died in her sleep on Wednesday, Steph’s birthday, and the 2nd anniversary of Jen’s death. A day of celebration in an odd way. Getting up at o’dark hundred, we swung by the Friend’s to drop off a nonfunctional vacuum Doug can fix by replacing the trigger (life goes on), then had lunch at Cafe Frida, delicious Mexican food 2 minutes from the church.After a service highlighted by the eulogies from her 3 sons-in-law, several of us Toastmasters and spouses ate dinner at Mario’s, a favorite restaurant of Ana’s. Way too large portions, followed by gratis tres leche cake. I needed and got coffee for the drive home.
In one of those odd coincidences, after we learned of Ana’s death (discovered by her brother during our Thursday meeting, OMG), we cut our meeting short, which gave me time to plant my latest addition to my hedgerow along our south property line. The plant? A colic tree, Myrsine cubana. Ana was a year younger than me and a Cuban exile, whose family escaped Fidel.I will think of her as I watch my plant grow.
So I have to celebrate how lucky we are to be old and all the doctors appointments that come with it.
Comments
Post a Comment